4 Wheeler Electronics and Motion Study

                                    

Ok I can admit, I am a little eccentric when it comes to my home-schooling techniques. I don't always go the brick and mortar route and cram textbooks down my kids throat. Not always :) Sometimes I like to sit back and let nature takes it course and watch how much they learn, without ever even realizing they are learning till after the fact. That is how they learned about 4 Wheeler (ATV's). Ok first thing you should know is I have an aunt and uncle who teach ATV safety and run simulation testing and safety drills for kids. So, obviously this is a passion that runs in my family and I kinda inherited it. So bear with me on this one. Here are some things I wanted my daughter to learn:

PROPER CLOTHING & PROTECTIVE GEAR
The first step to safe riding is proper protection of the rider. Youshould always wear a helmet, eye protection, gloves, long pants, a long-sleeved shirt or jacket and boots. Especially avoid wearing any loose-fitting clothes. Loose belts, scarves, etc., can get caught in moving parts and cause personal injury. Even in hot weather, make sure you wears long pants and a long-sleeved shirt, not only to protect against abrasive injuries but also help reduce fatigue which comes from loss of body heat caused by exposure to the wind. 

FAMILIARIZATION WITH THE VEHICLE
You must be completely familiar with the names and functions of all controls. I Demonstrated operation of the controls as she asked what they did, if she did not already know. Then I asked her to do things such things as “Apply the brakes. Turn off the engine,” etc. We practiced this exercise until  she could operate all of the controls without hesitation and without looking at the controls. 
PURE JOY

 STARTING OFF AND STOPPING AND MAKING WIDE TURNS
Anybody that has ever been on a ATV knows the importance of being able to start and stop the ATV appropriately. First, we PRACTICED WITH THE ENGINE OFF, as follows:
  1. Sit on ATV.
  2.  Keep eyes straight ahead while you slowly push the vehicle from behind. This was to give her the “feel” of riding a moving vehicle.
  3. As I  push the ATV, I had her  to steer straight ahead and perform operations such as stopping the vehicle and turning OFF the engine switch while moving. Watching closely to make sure she is operating the controls correctly and without looking at them.
  4. As you approach the end of the practice area, stop the vehicle. You should drag the rear end of the ATV around so you can push it straight ahead in the opposite direction.
  5. We practiced with the engine OFF until she got the “feel” of using the brakes and can stop the vehicle and turn OFF the engine switch without hesitation and without looking at the controls.
    Grandpa taking over for me
ADJUST THE SPEED LIMITER TO SLOW NOW.
Next, we started the ATV’s engine and had her practice starting off, riding in a straight line and stopping with the vehicle under power. Walking alongside the ATV and holding the engine cutout switch cord just to be safe, until she got the feel of it. Then I rode on teh back of the ATV while she drove. I was checking to make sure she:
  1. Opens the throttle gently when starting off.
  2. Releases the throttle and applies the brakes in sequence when stopping.
  3. Becomes aware of the distance it takes the vehicle to stop when the engine switch is turned OFF while the vehicle is moving.
    After I tossed them off the sled! TEHE
We continued like this till she was comfortable driving in a straight line and making simple, wide turns with me there. Actually took longer than what I thought it would. I figured right away she would want to go at it alone, but the size of the ATV and the noise I think intimidated her a bit. 


    
My Dad


Drake riding with grandpa
AFTER ALL THAT, SHE JUST WANTED ME TO PULL HER AND HER BROTHER ON THE SLED, THROUGH THE SNOW!!!! GO FIGURE. KIDS ARE KIDS IN ALL THERE UNPREDICTABLE GLORY :) 

Comments