NIV Devotions for Women

He Is- Among Us


44 "So I will consecrate the Tent of Meeting and the altar and will consecrate Aaron and his sons to serve me as priests. 45 Then I will dwell among the Israelites and be their God. 46 They will know that I am the LORD their God, who brought them out of Egypt so that I might dwell among them. I am the LORD their God.

God isn’t some distant being watching his creation from afar. He chose to be in the midst of his people, so they could know him personally. He reminded Moses of his goal in freeing the Israelites and establishing them as a nation: “that I might dwell among them” (Exodus 29:26).
Today, God doesn’t dwell in a building, a temple or a palace; he lives in the hearts of his people. Through Christ’s death and resurrection, he performed a mighty miracle of freeing us from sin so he could send to us his indwelling Holy Spirit. Wherever we roam, he is with us. Wherever believers gather, he is among us.

 Commentary: 

(Exodus 29:44-46) So I will sanctify.
So I will consecrate the tabernacle of meeting and the altar. I will also consecrate both Aaron and his sons to minister to Me as priests. I will dwell among the children of Israel and will be their God. And they shall know that I am the LORD their God, who brought them up out of the land of Egypt, that I may dwell among them. I am the LORD their God.
a. So I will consecrate: God makes it clear who performs the work of consecration. We are tempted to think that we sanctify our self because we are so immersed in the sanctifying process and because it draws so much out of us. Yet God does the work - what we do is remove barriers and spend time with the focus on Him.
b. To minister to Me as priests: Aaron and his sons had a ministry to the people of Israel, but their first ministry was to the LORD. They might be successful in ministry to the people, but if they failed in their ministry to the LORD, their ministry failed.
i. “The best part of all Christian work is that part which only God sees.” (Andrew Bonar)
c. And they shall know that I am the LORD their God: God promised to show His glory through consecrated priests. When Moses and Aaron performed this ceremony of consecration, Leviticus 9:23-24 tells us the result: Then the glory of the LORD appeared to all the people, and fire came out from before the LORD and consumed the burnt offering and the fat on the altar. When all the people saw it, they shouted and fell on their faces.
i. There is a price to pay for being fully surrendered to God. The ceremony of consecration was long, bloody, and it took persistence to complete. Yet the reward was far greater than the cost - the glory of the LORD was revealed not only to the consecrated priests, but to the people in general.
d. I will dwell among the children of Israel and will be their God: God again stressed the idea of relationship in the process of consecration. This worship-filled relationship with God is both the instrument and the fruit of consecration.


Copyright Statement
David Guzik's Commentaries on the Bible are reproduced by permission of David Guzik, Siegen, Germany. All other rights reserved.


This devotion is from the NIV New Women's Devotional Bible or True Identity by Zondervan. Used with permission.

Comments