Drake's First Grade -1st 6wks



First Grade-1st 6 weeks
Language Arts/Spelling:
short “u” patterns
short “o” patterns
short “I” patterns
-at patterns
-ap patterns
-et patterns
-en patterns

Word Recognition:
We use these as our spelling words and reading recognition words when going through books. When we read I keep this list handy so when I point to a word and he does not recognize it in a sentence I found sometimes he does when it’s singled out. We write our spelling words 2 times each (normally 4-6 words) and then spell them out loud as well 3’s a week.
Net
Wet
Met
Bet
Set
Get
Pet
Hen
Den
Men
Pen
Ten
When
Then
Are
For
Here
Look
There

Cat
Mat
Pat
Sat
Rat
Bat
Hat
Flat
Man
Can
Fan
Pan
Ran
Bran
Bud
Mud
Cut
Sum
Bun
Fun
Hug
Mug
Cup
And
Bus
Like
A
Has
Of
Will
Cop
Hop
Stop
Top
Jog
Log
Frog
Pond
Song
Clock

Want
This
Can
Big
And
Fit
Sit
Dig
Rip
Clip
Wig
Dig
Big
Win
Fin
Do
Have
I
My
On
Blue
Red
Pink
Yellow
Red







Sentences:
We usually do 3-5 sentences a day so I keep them short. He can use the dry erase board or pen/pencil.
1.       Use 3 of the word recognitions words in a sentence
2.       My hat is blue.
3.       My shirt is pink.
4.       My fish is red.
5.       The frog jumped in the pond.
6.       The wet log ran away.
7.       My name is__ __ and I am __ years old. I was born ____, ____, 20__. My favorite color is _____. My favorite animal is ____. My favorite thing to do it____. (We do this once a week for practice)

Math: (we do this daily)
For our math we love to use things laying around the house for adding, subtracting and practicing with skip counting as well. I have found pennies work great for skip counting. We start by putting 3 on the first row, then 6, then 9 etc to show the skip and then he writes the numbers on the dry erase board as he says them. For adding and subtracting we use everything; cereal, books, pens, paper, people, you name it we use it and make a game out of it. He then writes the additions or subtraction on the dry erase board.
Skip counting by 2’s
Skip counting by 3’s
Review numbers 1-100
Adding facts 1-10 (example 1+3=4)
Adding facts 11-20 (example 11+5=16)
Adding facts 21-30 (example 26+20-46)

Science:
1.       Where do fruits and vegetables come from?
2.       What do you need to grow a garden?
3.       Make a spider web and label plants in Texas
4.       Draw the tree that represents the state of Texas
5.       Draw the state flag and label the colors
6.       All about Frogs!
7.       All about Spiders!
8.       Draw the armadillo and discuss the purpose of its hard shell
9.       Identify the parts of the mockingbird

Reading
He reads for at least 30 minutes each day normally with me and then he tries on his own from the same book we just read. He struggles with reading so this is our challenging subject. He can spell words, but does not recognize them in sentences as part of a group. I always let him pick the book he wants to read from a shelf I have combined that week that relate to our science study or biblical study. 

Social Studies:
I’ve been lazy and we just started this subject.
1.       Find out what kinds of food your family likes.
2.       What Hispanic influence have you had from your parents?
3.       Draw what you want to see at the State Fair of Texas
4.       What Hispanic influence do you see on TV?
5.       What Hispanic influence do you see in your community?

Art/Drama/Poetry
We have been studying prose in poetry and songs and using the book Baby Faces by Miller amongst others. He is gearing up learning Christmas songs for our caroling day in December and they are practicing for the church Christmas play as well.  

Bible:
1.       What does it mean to be a disciple for Christ? Luke 14-25-35
2.       Are these actions, internal attitudes or both? Matthew 10:37
3.       What actions does Jesus say should characterize the lives of His disciples? John 8: 31-32, John 13:34-35, John 15:8
4.       How can you put these into actions?
5.       Tell me what you think it means to be a disciple for Christ?
6.       How do we minister to other people? Mark 10:45-what example did Jesus set for those who want to follow as His disciple?
7.       What does Paul say about the ministry of those he mentions from the church of Colosse in Colossians 4:10-17
8.       Tell me the attitudes and actions of the early disciples as they were involved in various aspects of , ministry: Acts 2:43-47, Acts 4:-32-37, Acts 6:1-7, Acts 9:36-42
9.       In what ways can you make contributions?
10.   The Cost of Discipleship: 2 Timothy 3: 1-12, 1 Peter 5:6-9 Those who follow Jesus will have a rough time, what do these verses say about hardships when following Christ?
11.   Luke 9-23-26 Give the 3 conditions Christ states when He says “If anyone would come after me….”
12.   In Luke 9-57-62 Jesus encountered 3 men that wanted to follow Him. What kept them from pursuing their goal?
13.   What would be some current day situations that could keep you from following Jesus Christ?
14.   1 Cor 9:24-27 compares being a Christian to running a race why?
15.   What does Hebrews 12:1=3 say about running the race?

Character Study:
When I am filled with fear I handle it how? What does Romans 8:38-39 say?
When I feel ugly or fat I handle it how? What does Psalms 139-:14 say?
When I feel rejected or let down I handle it how? What does Ephesians 1:4-6 say?
When I feel anxious or overwhelmed I handle it how? What does Psalms 37:5 say?
When I feel like I cannot overcome a sinful habit what truth can you cling to? Romans 6;6-7 and 1John 1:7
When I feel I do not know where to turn to for help and advice where can I go? Psalm 19:7, 107-:20 and 119:105

Comments