Teaching Fractions and Decimals Song

I am always searching for new ways to teach my kids about math. My daughter, she's simple, she loves math, my other 2 well that's a different story. So I thought that this would help my other ones. My youngest learns by song anyway, and my eldest already knows about fractions, but I still thought it would be nice to do this together as a family anyway just for reinforcement.I am not 100% sure the clips work, new to embedding,just this week! So if not follow the link, its all the same!

Ma-Fractions and Decimals (clip) by educationalrap

Lyrics

Chorus
Fractions and decimals, doing math like a professional (×2)

Verse I
Changing fractions to decimals
It’s an action that I’m gonna profess to y’all
Now, I’m not trying to cause any stress for y’all
So listen up if you know what’s best for y’all
A fraction’s got two parts, don’t you know
The numerator on the top, denominator below
When you change to a decimal you gotta divide
Denominator on the left and put the numerator inside
1∕2 gives you 0.5
1∕4 is 0.25
1∕3 is 0.333…
All the way out as far as you can see

Chorus

Verse II
Now, if you wanna change a decimal back, then
You need to remember the two parts of a fraction
We’ll say it again, just in case you forgot
Denominator on the bottom numerator on top
So find the decimal point. Now make the numbers on the right
The numerator of the fraction that you’re going to find
The denominator’s gonna be a power of ten
Like a hundred or a thousand, maybe even a million
So put a zero below for every digit on top
Then add a one to the front of it
Now you’ve got a denominator. Now you’ve got a fraction to use
And all you’ve got left to do is reduce, reduce, reduce

Chorus

Verse III
Now if percent is what you’re trying to find
You wanna start with a decimal like 0.9
Then you grab the point, move it two to the right
If you get 90%, then you grab the mic and say:
1∕2 is 50%
1∕4 is 25%
1∕3 is 33.33333333%
Latest tracks by educationalrap

Comments