This lively outdoor activity (for younger students) was adapted from Christian Kids Explore Earth & Space by Stephanie Redmond, Unit 3: “The Hydrosphere.”
· Materials: A sliding board
· Introduce the following terms:
- Salt water: water found in oceans, seas, and some lakes that contain high levels of salt and other minerals left behind by the evaporation process.
- Evaporate: to change from a liquid to a vapor
- Condense: to change back to liquid form
- Precipitation: water that falls to Earth in the form of rain, snow, sleet, hail, or freezing rain
- Hail: small balls of ice that come down like rain
- Now they begin climbing the slide slowly, saying, "I'm evaporating from the ocean. I left the salt and minerals in the ocean. I'm freshwater now."
- At the top of the slide, they yell, "Condensing into clouds!"
- As they slide down, they call out, "Precipitation in the form of rain (snow or hail)!"
- When they hit the ground, remind them they are back in the ocean and are now ocean water again.
- Repeat process several times (depending on their age) until they understand the process and the terms.