Celebrating Father's Day without a Dad?



Your dad, like mine, may have walked out on you. He may have died, be im prison or simply want nothing to do with you. your children's dad may have disappointed you and them alike, but on this Father's Day let us remember not your earthly Dad, but instead focus on and remeber your heavenly Father. He loves and cares deeply for you and He will not leave you or forsake you.  
As a child, I grew up without a Dad from the time I was 8 on. Whenever Father's Day came around, I was always happy to either make or buy a card for him, but rarely did I ever get to give it to him. It was a day I looked forward to, but also a day that broke my heart. Waiting for a Dad that would never come. I felt lonely, unwanted and unloved  by my Dad. I was jealous of other kids relationships with their fathers, especially on Father's Day. Truth be told, I just wanted my Dad.

As an adult, I appreciate the role of a Daddy even more, especially as a mother of 3. Luckily over the years my Dad and I have reconnected and we get to see each other about once  a year and talk a few times a year. The relationship is still strained, but we are both making progress and I am happy to have a Dad to give a token of my love to on Father's Day now.

I wish I could say that things are different for all my children, but sadly they are not. They do not always get to see their Dad or talk to him on Father's Day. I see the emptiness in their eyes on those occasions  and the longingy to be held by their earthly father. To know he cares for them. It takes me back to when I was little and wanted nithing more than my Dad. I know their pain and my heart breaks for them. It is at those times though that we have learned to find our comfort and joy in our Heavenly Father. We cling to Isaiah 54 and the promises and hope it offers.

You read about the  woman who was once “wooed and won” in her youth and scorned in later years is not truly alone because the Lord, her Maker, is her Husband (vs 5-6). How powerful is it that the Lord is my husband, the father of my children. Their Daddy! The passage also says that her children will be taught of the Lord, that they will take the nations and that their peace will be great (vs.. 3,13).What better teacher than the Lord for my children to look up to and be guided by.

Though their earthly father may let them down and leave them broken hearted, their heavenly  Father has proved Himself time and again and His faithfulness is never broken. his love never ending. His promises always kept! This Father's Day, let the our precious heavenly Father be the reason you celebrate.

PRAYER:Thank you Lord for Your faithfulness as a Father to the fatherless, and Your promise to never leave or forsake us. I ask that you raise up fathers in the church to love, nurture, instruct and guide those in need of a father’s blessing. I beg you to turn the hearts of the fathers toward their children and the children toward their fathers. Than you  for the church fathers He has used through the years to establish our heritage and guide and direct our children. We pray for single fathers who are raising their children without a spouse to share the love and responsibility for their upbringing. We continue to pray about the disintegration of the family unit in our land, and ask you God to restore foundations both in and out of the church.Be with those and bless thoe that are suffering and in need of a loving, caring and gentle Father. Amen

Scripture: Psalm 68:5-6; Proverbs 17:6; Isa. 54:13

Comments

Robin Paker said…
No doubt. My dad was not around much either, but its nice to know we have our Heavenly Father there for us in our greatest times of need. Good post.