Making Math Fun: Fact Triangles

I feel like I am always searching for new ways to help make learning fun,or at least more interesting. One way that I have found to help bring some life to our math lessons have been rather than using traditional flashcards that teach multiplication or division facts separately, I prefer “fact triangles,” three-sided cards that have an entire fact family on the three corners of the triangle. My kids enjoy “playing” with their fact triangles by covering up one corner and then having a friend figure out the hidden number. This helps my kids internalize the relationship between multiplication and division. We even designed a board game so we can challenge each other. My son gets to play with the addition and subtractions cards while my older kids have to use the multiplication and division sets.This has been a great way for my older kids to stay brushed up on their skills while teaching my youngest son the foundation skills he needs.

A free printable set of all of the multiplication fact triangles is available online or at Hover Elementary.

Here is a wonderful you-tube video I found that really captures the Fact Triangle.


This is called a“Fact Family”
Example:
2 + 3 = 5
3 + 2 = 5
5–2 = 3
5–3 = 2

I would love to hear about some interesting ways you keep learning fun.

Comments