Eating Out With a Trim Healthy Mama!

I am without a doubt a Drive-Thru Sue as described in the Trim Healthy Mama Book.  I hear the desperate cries from new Trim Healthy Mama’s as they are going out to dinner for the first few weeks. "What can I eat at______?”  After being on many plans before THM, I always found it difficult to eat out. most "diets" require you to cook and seldom have any good choices for eating out at your favorite places. 

 Everyone is different but, here is what my game plan has been!

  • Protein- steak, chicken breast, bacon, eggs, roast, fish, etc. (NON-breaded meats)
  • Veggies- salad, green beans, broccoli, mixed vegetables, cabbage, spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes (Not deep fried foods)
  • Soups- vegetable soup, stews, black beans soup (skip around the potatoes, white rice and pasta)
  • Grains- Brown rice


Steakhouse/American Food:  If I am going to a nice steakhouse for example, I can find so may choices to enjoy!  I often get a nice 6 ounce steak, side salad(no croutons) with some creamy ranch dressing and some green beans.  This is my go-to meal!  Skip those carb filled rolls and the appetizers full of breading! I know I love them to, but you will thank yourself later for not caving in. I remember thinking early on that some Fried Greens Beans, Cheese Sticks or Bloomin’ Onion were all “kinda” on plan!!  No, no they are not!  The breading on those appetizers are very off plan and FULL of carbohydrates.  The same goes for chicken chunks or wings with tons of breading on them.   I have at times pulled breading off when I needed too.  Also, watch those peanuts!  At our steakhouse they have a bucket of peanuts to munch on while you wait to be seated. Peanuts are hard for me to say no to, especially the salted ones and I often eat way too many!  I sometimes count out a few peanuts and push the bucket aside.  The carbs can add up quickly before your meal even hits the table!  So, pick a meat that you enjoy that is non-breaded and keep the BBQ sauce in the kitchen! Non-starchy veggies area always yummy with some butter on top!  For a nice E meal you can often have some chicken breast, a plain sweet potato and some salad with a low fat dressing..HOLD the cheese!  I find it a bit harder to eat out E style so I opt for S meals when I’m out for dinner.

Wing Joints:  Wings are another favorite of my family especially if we are watching sporting events!   I enjoy my wings with a side of ranch and celery!(S)  I often order a side salad to go with my wings to get in some great veggies.  We frequent a restaurant on Friday nights that has chicken chunks as well.  They lightly bread their chunks and for months on the plan I’d eaten them that way.  I asked one night if they would consider leaving the breading off and they were happy to do so!  They told me they were called Naked Chunks!  Who knew!?  So, now I get my Half-pound of naked chunks with some buffalo sauce on them and a side a ranch dressing.  Happy girl, I tell ya! ASK!!!  Many restaurants are very helpful to those with special dietary needs.  I tell them I am on a low-glycemic diet and they are very accommodating!  They want your return business and for you to brag about how accommodating they were to you so others will go.

Mexican Food:  I hear folks tell me all the time that they can’t eat out at Mexican places anymore.  There are a few meals that I really enjoy on THM!  I love fajita's,they are my go to food. !!!  I often order my same old chicken fajitas with a side of sour cream and guacamole!  Instead of the rice and beans, I get salad!  I pour some salsa on my salad as well as some ranch.  It's not the same, I know, but it still does the trick. I have also ordered some chicken dishes before that come with onions and green peppers.  They pour some queso cheese on top.  It’s some good eats!  Guess what’s in  my purse??  Yes, it’s a low carb tortilla.  I take one or two along with me sometimes.  I enjoy dipping it in queso cheese dip like my kids do with the regular tortillas.  I don’t feel odd bringing some in to the restaurant at all!    Some places do have brown rice!  I have eaten some brown rice a few times with my meal and made it an S Helper or a Crossover.  I don’t do this too often since I want to lose.  You could even enjoy some chicken breast, salsa, a little brown rice and some re-fried beans for a nice E meal.  Leave those chips alone which is the hard part if they are sitting on your table, so just ask them not to bring those temptations out at all!

Japanese Steakhouse:  On a rare occasion my boys enjoy dinner and  a show!   It’s NOT impossible to eat at a Japanese steakhouse!  I enjoy some egg drop soup and a salad with ranch to start.  I steer clear of the ginger dressing as it has sugar in it.  I also split a meal with one of my boys!  They eat the rice and noodles while I eat the steak/chicken and veggies!  It works for both of us.

Italian/Pasta:  Olive Garden is my oldest sons favorite place to eat. I avoided it for a while thinking there wasn’t much that I could enjoy.  Man was I wrong!  They have salmon, chicken and steak!  I often eat a salad with no croutons.  SKIP those bread-sticks!  I know they smell good but, you can do it!  I love their Mixed Grill!  It is yummy meat and veggies on a skewer.  I ask for no potatoes with mine.  I get broccoli instead, with a side a Alfredo sauce.  That is some good stuff right there!!  If you like asparagus, that is another lovely side dish!  I now enjoy eating at “OG” again and have great options to choose from!

Fast Food:  On the go?  I can’t name every place I’ve eaten at but, my hubby travels from time to time so we’ve eaten out on the road often.  Here are a few of the places we go too and what I’d eat.
Wendy’s:  Double cheeseburger with mayo, slice of tomato, onion and bacon.  They put it in a nice container so I can eat it with a fork!  I also get a side Cesar salad with no croutons.(S)   For an E style lunch you could enjoy a small chili and a side salad with some low fat dressing!

McDonald’s:  I don’t love to eat there too often but, in the morning I have gotten eggs and bacon on a platter for breakfast!  For lunch I have gotten a salad as well with chicken breast on top.

Chic-Fil-A:  I get grilled chicken chunks!  YUM!!  I use the buffalo sauce with mine.  I also get a salad as my side dish with the avocado ranch dressing.  Maybe not a purist choice but, I’m a Drive-Thru Sue!     You could get a grilled chicken sandwich with no bun as well.  They have some great salad choices!!  Just watch your toppings!  I love their unsweetened tea!  Just take along your own Truvia packets!

Subway:  I enjoy the double chicken chopped salad at Subway!  I love to pile on the veggies!!  They also have nice ranch dressing to add on top.  This salad is massive and you will no go hungry!!   Some also get a 6 inch sub on wheat for an E option.  Choose lean  meats, veggies and a light dressing or mustard!

Chipotle:  They have wonderful salad bowls.  You can make them an S or an E with toppings!  Hamburger, cheese, sour cream and guac are great on an S salad.  Some brown rice, chicken breast, beans and veggies can make a nice E.  Keep those fats away in your E meals!  1 tsp is the goal.  It’s a restaurant that you can easily go either way!  Just say NO to the chips and tortillas!

Panera Bread:  I adore Panera. We hold out monthly American Heritage Girls meeting here and the smells are so inviting! I get a wonderful Deep S salad called the Mediterranean Chicken Salad.  It has some super yummy olive oil you can put on it with some lemon.  It has chicken breast, a boiled egg, spinach, bacon, lettuce and tomato.  It’s large and filling!!  It’s my go-to at Panera.  Many love their black bean soup for an E lunch.  I’d suggest you stay away from the breads.  Even the sourdough bread is not fermented enough to fit the plan.  I know it can be tough but, I pass it on to my kiddos!

Pizza Hut:  I know some may love it but, I sure don’t!  My hubby and boys do enjoy their pizza.  If I go along, I order wings!  They have non-breaded wings and a good salad bar.  If you like their pizza you can always swipe some of the families toppings to enjoy!  My son takes off the cheese and pepperonis…crazy, I know!  So, if we are at other pizza places, I’d enjoy those. Even pizza places have choices!  Some will even let you have a pizza in a bowl!  I’ve done that as well. All the normal topping you love, baked in a bowl! ASK!!

Tips:  Take along packets of sweetener in your purse!  I also take a Joseph’s Pita with me for a burger place or low carb tortillas for Mexican food.

Well, I can’t name every restaurant to you!  These are just a few of my favorites or favorites of my family.   Don’t be afraid to ask  the waiter or manager if you have a special request or need.  They aren’t bothered by you, they want to give you great service!  I am never hungry on Trim Healthy Mama!  Hopefully this will give you some ideas for eating out.  This is not an all inclusive list!

No any other great ideas for eating out on THM I would love to have you share them!

Comments