Dragon Slayer: Beginnings

Dragons have been forgotten, relegated to the realm of legend and myth. But tales of horror circulate among the common people. Rumors of their attacks float on the night wind. They are a fearsome presence that haunts the memories of the old and the nightmares of the young.

They are forgotten, but they are not gone.The dragon masters wait, a dark force lurking in the shadows of every land.

They will have their opportunity. They will rise.

A young boy is stripped violently from his family and thrust into the conflict between dragon masters and feudal lords. Through tragedy and loss Hon is swept into the conflict while battling the fear and pain that grips his own soul.

Dragon Slayer: Beginnings is a story of life and the growth of faith in the midst of loss. It’s about the battle every person goes through to become more than their past has destined them to be.

He is the first. He will be the best. He is the Dragon Slayer.

My Impressions: 


This was a hard book for me to get into since I am not a big fan of fantasy, but once I did I was hooked till the very last page. The story is amazing and has so much going on that you find yourself falling into the story walking with the characters through this epic adventure. Set in medieval times, the way the author opens the story using the book of Job from the Bible, which was a great move. It filled you with anticipation and a sense of foreboding before the book began.  The author described scenes with such detail that you can picture them vividly and feel the fear, sadness and loss from the villages when the dragon arrives, terrorizes them and leaves them destroyed in every sense of the word. The character development is outstanding highlighting real-life struggles and issues. Silas is ruthless and unpredictable, while Hon (Honour) is emphatic, sensitive and full of love for others, two polar opposites, each with their own agenda to destroy and to protect.  The story sticks to the Christian genre without being overdone really balancing the struggle of good and evil throughout. If you love mystery, suspense, fantasy, the struggles between good and evil than this this is a book for you.
 
Author Bio:
Carey loves his life. Living in the mountains of Colorado with his family (wife, 5 kids, daughter-in-law, grandson, and another on the way) is a dream come true. He's been blessed by God in ways that stir his soul. Besides being an author, he's a retired pastor, entrepreneur, podcaster, and marriage & family coach. For fun, he likes to write, read, play with his kids and grandson, and build things out of anything he can find. Some of the more important things about Carey: He's a follower of Jesus Christ. He is committed to seeing that his family builds a legacy of faith that lasts for generations. In the end, that's all that matters.
10 random things about Carey… (from his own lips)
  • I’ve been known to yell at the TV screen.
  • I typically don’t like the “home team” – no matter where I live.
  • I was once struck by lightning – indirectly. Maybe that explains a few things…
  • I play the drums, bass guitar, and I-pod.
  • When I was in high school, the bumper sticker on my car read, “If you love something, set it free. If it doesn’t come back, hunt it down and kill it.
  • I have learned more from my wife than from any other individual on the planet. No doubt.
  • When I was in grade school, I rushed home every afternoon to watch “Speed Racer.“
  • At my funeral, I’d hate it if anyone said, “He had such potential…”
  • My wife says I make up words… often… even in sermons.
  • If you want to see me get very, VERY, VERY angry… put a video game controller in my hand. I just can’t do it.

Comments